Dan Sullivan Attorney
|T 540.224.8036||F 540.224.8050|
Dan is a litigator. He has more than a decade of experience representing businesses and individuals in a broad range of civil litigation matters, especially commercial litigation. Dan represents contractors and project owners in construction disputes in both state and federal courts. Dan also serves as local counsel for international companies involved in Virginia litigation. His litigation work has provided Dan with the tools to advise clients in pre-litigation and find best strategies for long-term success.
Dan has repeatedly been identified as a Virginia Super Lawyers “Rising Star,” and was selected as one of only 22 “Up and Coming Lawyers” honorees from across the Commonwealth of Virginia in 2018.
Dan is licensed in Virginia and West Virginia (inactive) Supreme Courts, as well as the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals, and both federal district courts of Virginia. Dan is fluent in Spanish, having lived and worked in Spain and Chile prior to studying law at the University of Virginia School of Law. Dan has considerable experience representing Spanish-speaking clients.
Outside of his legal practice, Dan spends time with his wife Susan and young family; he is an avid racquetball player and runner. He qualified for and ran the Boston Marathon in 2018. Dan has played the Scottish Highland Bagpipes since he was 11 years old.
- University of South Dakota (2006); graduated magna cum laude with a double major in Political Science and Spanish, Phi beta kappa.
- University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville, Virginia (2010) – J.D.
- Successfully defended an international motor parts supplier on a $500,000 business defamation lawsuit filed by a contractor in federal court. Upon receiving the motion to dismiss under Federal Rule 12(b)(6), the plaintiff voluntarily withdrew the lawsuit
- Obtained jury verdict under the Virginia Consumer Protection Act on behalf of homeowners suing an unlicensed contractor who damaged their property.
- Represented internationally-circulated newspaper in defamation lawsuit filed by the university.
- Represented commercial property owner in seven-figure breach of contract lawsuit
- Represented Fortune 500 manufacturing client defending a products liability lawsuit in federal court
- Represented international web services company defending breach of contract and business tort lawsuit dispute in state court
- Represented various closely-held businesses in minority shareholder disputes in state court
- Represented closely-held business in breach of insurance contract dispute in federal court
- Represented publicly held mining and energy company in land and mineral rights dispute pending in three jurisdictions
- Represented closely-held business in breach of contract and maritime law dispute with former business partner in federal court
- Represented construction firm in federal dispute with regional water authority over multi-million-dollar contract
- Represented insurance clients in defending multiple federal and state court product liability lawsuits throughout Virginia and the east coast
- When is Time Essential in a Contract?; Virginia Bar Association’s “Opening Statement,” Winter 2020-2021 Edition
- Triggering CDL Policy Coverage – A Primer; Virginia Bar Association’s “Opening Statement,” Summer 2019 Edition
- Changes Come to Virginia’s Discovery Rules; Virginia Bar Association’s “Opening Statement,” Spring 2018 Edition
- Board of Directors, Roanoke Valley Medical Mission (2018-2020);
- Finance Council, St. Andrew’s Catholic Church (2018 – present);
- Roanoke Bar Association – Barrister Book Buddies;
- Executive Board, Virginia Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division (2017-present);
- Virginia State Bar – Better Annual Meeting Committee (2016-2020).
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers Rising Star: 2017-2021
- Virginia Lawyers Weekly: Up and Coming Attorney (2018)