Sam Darby Principal
|T 540.224.8006||F 540.224.8050|
With more than 40 years of legal experience, Sam has earned the trust and respect of many of the region’s businesses and political subdivisions. Focusing primarily on municipal and business law, including tax exempt revenue bond financing and infrastructure financing, Sam is a nationally recognized bond counsel, and has effectively served issuers, lenders, underwriters, and borrowers in a wide range of bond financing agreements. His
Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating
results from exceptional ethical standards and demonstration of professional excellence.
Sam represents clients in a broad range of complex business and finance matters and works hard to ensure his clients’ interests are guarded, protected, and preserved. He serves as legal counsel for various local and regional business and government entities, guiding them through complicated transactions, difficult challenges, and daunting litigation. His expertise has helped establish and maintain businesses of all sizes and types with many of his largest clients operating within fields subject to complex regulation – including local taxation and public utility cases.
Having lived abroad and traveled extensively, Sam understands a diversity of cultures. He is fluent in French and conversant in Spanish and Italian, allowing him to gain experience in offering successful counsel to multinational business ventures. Sam has repeatedly been identified as a member of the “Legal Elite” by Virginia Business Magazine and is voted a “Virginia Super Lawyer” by other distinguished members of the legal community. Currently, he is featured in the Best Lawyers in America in the fields of corporate law and public finance law.
- Davidson College (1970)
- Washington & Lee University School of Law (1975)
- Liberty University, Inc. v. Kemper Securities Group, Inc., 758 F.Supp. 1148 (W.D.Va. 1991)
- Town of Rocky Mount v. Wenco of Danville, Inc., 256 Va. 316, 506 S.E.2d 17 (1998)
- General Counsel for Western Virginia Water Authority, Economic Development Authority of the City of Roanoke, Bedford County Public Service Authority, Halifax County Service Authority, [Roanoke City] Market Building Foundation, Inc.
- Special Counsel for Commissioner of Revenue, Wise County
- Glenn, Feldmann, Darby & Goodlatte (1975-present)
- Virginia Continuing Legal Education Programs (Lecturer)
- United States Army (1970-1972) (Lieutenant and Combat Engineer)
- Roanoke Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Virginia State Bar Local Government Law Section Board of Governors (1999-2005)
- Local Government Attorneys of Virginia